Startup Tucson is a 501c3 Educational non-profit with a mission to transform our region’s economy through entrepreneurship and innovation. Since launching in 2011 as a grass-roots community organization, our team expanded and worked closely together to foster the new generation of community leaders driving the next generation of economic growth. To continue our work to drive long-term impact and growth for our region, the board and CEO are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with the necessary experience to help our organization scale up to meet this exciting challenge ahead.
Reporting to the Founder and CEO, the Senior Director of Operations will be responsible for both strategic oversight and day-to-day support for the Startup Tucson team and programs. The successful candidate will have the skills, personality, sensitivity, and confidence necessary to:
- Develop a strong team culture of collaboration and high-quality performance
- Work with a wide array of talented individuals including staff, volunteers, and community leaders
- Tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission
- Bring efficient and effective systems to our work while maintaining the creative spark and energy the drives a culture of innovation
- Developing new and improving existing operational systems, processes and policies including management reporting, information flow, and organizational planning.
- Assisting CEO with Board management, budget, organizations metrics, and strategic plan development
- Managing support services including HR, IT and Finance
- Fundraising strategy and support including both grant and contract research, writing, management and related reporting
- Holding regular meetings with key staff members to enhance the organizational mission and efficiency of delivery of programs and services.
- Coordinating and providing key internal training on new programs and procedures
As a prerequisite, the candidate must share Startup Tucson’s commitment to community growth through entrepreneurship and innovation. The successful candidate will most likely have had relevant experience at successful non-profit organization and be seeking a new or increased challenge. The candidate will also demonstrate the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
Additional requirements are:
- Self-directed professional, comfortable responding to and leading change in a dynamic, fast paced community and work environment
- Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view, challenge and debate assumptions, and make decisions using details and facts.
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the process best practices that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Ability to delegate responsibilities to staff and inspire volunteers to deliver major mission impact with quality and commitment.
- Fundraising experience including grant and contract research, writing, management and reporting
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional and ethical standards and to a diverse workplace
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, or equivalent industry experience including 2 years of project and budget management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Demonstrated fluency with current and new office systems including both online and desktop software and technology.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record and offer a competitive salary.
Please email a resume and cover letter directly to Justin Williams, Founder and CEO (email@example.com) with the subject line “Apply SDO”.